Monday, October 22, 2007

Our Weekend

Grandmother & Sawyer in May


Sawyer and I made an unexpected trip this weekend to Hartselle. We hadn't planned on going until the first of the week to visit, but my dad called and said my grandmother wasn't doing very well. This is my dad's mom-the sweetest lady I know or probably will ever know. She's such an amazing person. When we got there Friday night, she was doing better. We got a call from my aunt Saturday morning that she wasn't doing well again, but when we got there 10 minutes later, she was better. The neat thing about my grandmother is that she's the most selfless person. She is currently suffering from emphysema and congestive heart failure, but I have never heard her complain.

Let me just give you an example of how she is....her sister, Ordene, was there Sunday visiting. Ordene asked Grandmother if she wanted something to drink. Grandmother told her she had something on the table. When Ordene tries to give it to her, Grandmother said, "No. Id don't need it. You drink it." She's laying in the bed, not able to move on her own, but she's still so concerned about everybody else.

Another example...she was in rehab recently because she had fallen and hurt her hip. Grandmother was only able to walk with help and couldn't get up alone. I watched her try to get up, so I asked what she needed. She wanted to get up out of the bed to move her roommate's food tray away from her bed, because she thought it might be bothering her roommate.


I don't know if you can picture this kind act or not, but things like this that she does amaze me. I'm just so proud that she's my grandmother, and I have been able to witness first hand her kindness and sweet spirit.
When Sawyer and I went Saturday afternoon and Sunday my aunt was playing Allan Jackson's Precious Memories cd from the kitchen into her bedroom. Grandmother was singing away. She is precious!



I talked to Katie on the way home yesterday, and she was talking about "the mansions in heaven," which are reference in John 14:2. She was saying how Grandmother deserves a mansion in heaven. That's the truth. She is not the type to worry at all about material things, but her rewards I know will be great in heaven. I thank God for her influence on my life! Please pray for her as she continues to struggle with her health. Thanks!

2 comments:

The Martin Family said...

My eyes are tearing up as I read this. Even though I've only spent a little time with her, I know she's the sweetest lady I've ever met! And she's got some spunk to her too! I know she's so proud of who you've become and loves every second she gets to spend with you and Sawyer. Please tell her hello for me and you know I've got the whole Brown family in my prayers. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for her, Ash. It is so good that she is getting to see your sweet little Sawyer though. What a magnificent lady!