Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Father's Day, Daddy!


My Top 10 Reasons that I love my daddy...
  1. He loves me! Growing up, he'd tell me ALL the time! Mainly, he'd say, "Who loves you?" The answer was "You do," or when we got older we'd say, "The Pa does."


  2. Snuggling. He was always a good snuggler and liked to snuggle with his girls. He'd call from his bed and say, "Who wants to snuggle with the Pa?" When we were little, we'd race to his bed when he'd say this. When we got older, he'd yell out, and we'd be lazy and not want to go, but I'd still appreciate the sentiment. There was never a doubt he loved us!


  3. His Bo-Bo Cars. He taught me bo-bo cars are okay. He could care less what his mode of transportation was-as long as it got us from a to b. He had some UGLY cars growing up and one OLD truck. We did lots of ducking in a car as we approached places in my childhood. I definitely realized that what you drive doesn't make you cool or uncool. I think this also helped me realize that your house/clothes/things don't make you who you are....(I'm thankful for his hooptie cars in hindsight!)


  4. The Judds/Randy Travis Obsession Phase...I can't even imagine how many times we listened to these two tapes as we rode in my dad's hooptie cars. We sang "Forever and Ever, Amen" and "Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good ol' days" MANY, MANY times with my daddy and sisters...but I still know all the words and it was fun!


  5. My mom worked in Decatur, so Daddy had driving duty in the morning. He always took us to school, which was probably more than 30 minutes out of the way. He and my mom thought it was important for us to go to Hartselle instead of catching the bus that went by our house to Priceville at the time. I'm thankful for that!


  6. Like clockwork, he'd be home at 5:30. Mama would have supper ready like clockwork, and when we were little, if we were playing outside, we could wait at the bottom of the hill, and he'd let us drive his car up the driveway. That's fun for a little kid for sure!!! (I guess that's why I'll take Sawyer driving around the neighbor whenever he asks now!)


  7. This is important....I appreciate the fact that we went to church most every Sunday, and Daddy was right there with us! I learned early that church is what you do on Sunday....so, today...that's what I tell Sawyer, that's what we do on Sundays.


  8. I was never too much of an athlete (neither were my sisters), but Daddy was willing to coach ball a couple of years. I think that's sweet!


  9. My daddy would also SING & DANCE A LOT! I appreciate this too! I admit none of us are the best singers/dancers, but that never stopped any of us from trying (still doesn't). A few of his favorites include...
  • I think he made this up, but it goes, "I sing so lovely, and I know it, I just can't help it...."

  • Kisses Sweeter than Wine (you ought to google it if you don't know it. It's funny because it talks about this man falling in love with his wife and about the third verse says, "whoopsy-laudy-I's the father of twins, because she had kisses sweeter than wine. She had um-um-kisses sweeter than wine."
  • "I Love Little Fuzzy Pups, Old Pickup Trucks, Slow Moving Trains and Rain, and I love Ashley too."

  • "Hey Good Lookin', Whatcha got cookin?"

10. I remember being a scardy-cat as a kid, but if there was a bad dream to be had, I could go to Daddy's side of the bed, and he'd let me get in until I felt asleep. Then, he'd carry me back to my bed.

Anyway...I think I have a good one! On Father's Day weekend, as long as I remember, he watches the US Open, so we're not venturing to North Alabama for the weekend to celebrate with him. Like Mama said, he'd just rather be left with his golf this weekend, but I just thought I'd say Happy Father's Day to you, Daddy! I love you lots!

and to Walker Williams....Man, Please! I don't think my boys could do ANY BETTER, ANY WHERE ON EARTH!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet! Our daddy's were and are a lot alike!!! My daddy still sings "Hey good lookin', what you got cookin'" My girls even know it!

Julie said...

So sweet!! Praise the Lord for good Daddys!!!!

Anonymous said...

AWWWW Brownie...I love "The Pa" too. Great Dad! :)

Suz

The Clarks said...

I loved this post Ashley! What sweet memories!