Friday, July 17, 2009

My Big Boy


Sawyer is a "big boy" these days. He's officially given up his paci and crib, so I wanted to make sure I document these monumental occassions.
About a month ago, late one night after bathtime, we talked about how he might need to give his beloved bah-bah to the cows (THANK YOU, Shonna, for the idea). Sawyer said, "I do want to give my bah-bah to the cows." I figured I better jump at the opportunity while he was excited about the idea, so I take him in the dark to a pasture near our house. I grab Walker's boots on the way out the door to try to avoid a snake bite in the process, and I tie dental floss to the OLD paci, so I can tie it to the fence for the cows to come get. When we get out of the car, the cows start mooing LOUDLY in the dark and head for us. Sawyer was scared of this whole situation (I can't blame him-they were LOUD and BIG) and wanted to get back in the car quickly, so I tell him we'll just throw it to them. He says, "Okay!" (like let's just get out of here.) He did great until we pulled back up in the garage, and he said, "bah-bah!" He was so sad when he realized it was gone, but he was also proud of himself, so he pulls it together and comes in to tell Walker he gave his bah-bah to the cows. He does fine until bedtime, and as part of our routine, we say our prayers. Then, he gives me a kiss. This has always involved the bah-bah. So, after our kiss, he reaches for his mouth to pull out his bah-bah and realizes it's not there. OH NO! That night was ROUGH to say the least....after about 10 minutes of crying, we let him get up (which is VERY rare), and he comes and lays down on the couch. We try the bed again after he gets really sleepy, but he cries again. I go to my bed and squall. I feel like a terrible mama for making him give that piece of plastic up (thinking...was it really that bad for him?), and I also hate that our little baby is growing up. The next three nights he cried some over his bah-bah but surprisingly, not too much. (I, of course, went back to that pasture the next morning to save that precious, nasty bah-bah.)
Now, he just tells me he's a big boy, doesn't need a paci, and he gave it to the cows. He's so proud of himself, and to say I'm proud is an understatement...amazing what these little boys do to me! :)
So...anyway...over the last month, he's told me lots of times and lots of other people that he's a big boy. So, last night, he was EXCITED to move into his big boy bed.
He's never tried to crawl out of the crib, so I thought I'd leave well enough alone, but he's just been so proud of the paci deal that I thought I'd give him another reason to claim "big-boy status."
OH MY STARS! I love being these little boys mama!
We've been to Hartselle this week to meet Baby Caroline (finally). I hate we missed being in Enterprise for the arrival of Miss Allie Beth Colvin, but we did have a fabulous time. The trip was complete with a trip to Point Mallard Tuesday with my friend, Suzanne (you know? my friend, Suzanne!), during the day and back with Katie and girls Tuesday night. We also visited Decatur's splash pad and new park-both fabulous! I loved our time there. Caroline is PRECIOUS! I hate I don't have a new picture of that TINY girl, but she's precious!

Sweet Shelby....I could eat her up!


Granddaddy & Eli enjoying the Splash Pad


Katie's mini-me....(aka Grace)


Sawyer & Julia running at the Splash Pad...When Walker asked him what his favorite part of the trip was he said, "Julia!"


Little Eli's getting to be a big boy too! :)


7 comments:

Kristen said...

So glad you had a fun filled trip to Hartselle. We missed you on the beach Tuesday. Allyson and Caleb joined us for a couple of hours. Wish you and your boys could've been there.

Its amazing how quickly they're growing up, isn't it? I was just telling someone that Maggie has given up all of her "baby" ways...paci, diapers, crib... what's next? College? Time FLIES when you're having fun!

Beth said...

Come over ANY day!! We will be glad to see y'all! Allie Beth has a Dr.'s appt Mon. morning at 9:45 but other than that we will be hanging out at home. Just come on!

Allyson said...

Oh sweet Sawyer! That post makes me want to squall myself that Sawyer is getting to be a big boy SO FAST and I know Caleb will be right behind him. Sawyer-man sure is precious though and I know you wouldn't trade the conversations you get to have with him for him being a baby again :). Love you!

Beth said...

Sounds Great! Looking forward to seeing you guys!

Lisa said...

Sawyer is too cute! That picture of him sleeping in his big boy bed makes me laugh. I know what you mean by wanting them to grow up and get rid of the pacis, get out of diapers, etc. but then you're just sad when they quit having those things. I couldn't wait for Gray to walk and now I hate it that he won't let me hold him as much. It's just part of it, right? You guys are precious. I would love to meet little Eli when you guys are in town again!

Beth said...

In case I don't get to talk to you today, we are going to church tomorrow. So glad y'all are coming!!!!!!

Julie said...

WOW!! That IS a lot of stuff that your little Saw-man had to give up!! Sad, isn't it??

Girl, I'd LOVE to take your pics anytime even though I'm NOT a self-proclaimed photographer!! Just give me a call and we'll head to the beach ANYTIME....SERIOUS! :)